Sunday, November 12, 2017

Perspectivism



So...

I haven't re-posted or critiqued anything in forever -but- found the above artist particularly alluring.

Her name is Cecile Perra and at first I thought she was a he, which made me feel vaguely uncomfortable because I found myself wanting to hump the leg of whoever had created these playful, sometimes creepy, but always... authentic little figures.


Archetypal isn't quite the right term to describe them, but they have a certain... resonance.*

And yes, she uses similar elements currently popular among other peeps - old photos, bits of human faces in masks w/colored threads sewn in, etc - but time after time (whilst parsing Pinterest) I found myself drawn to her combinations of those elements vs. others. 

For me, it tied in a bit with Ram Das and "Polishing the Mirror" - which seems a ridiculous segue -but- something about Guru worship essentially being God and even self-adulation, with love and resonance being the common thread?

Basically, I hear the beat she's laying down. 

That, and the fact I'd been reading Ram earlier in the a.m., followed by a blissful siesta, and my first sighting of the artist...

Happenstance or synchronicity, you be the judge.


P.S. I'd be remiss to exclude Hanna Hoch, German turn of the century, Da-da-ist, who started me down the path of collage as High Art. If you don't know her, she's definitely worth a look see.

P.P.S. Should also mention that collage for me is the new Impressionism. Old bits of this and that  reconstituted with a hybrid vigor into something entirely new, at least to the mind's eye. Call it Perspectivism.  

No comments:

Post a Comment