Sunday, December 14, 2014

Rude Awakening


4 a.m., day before last, I found myself shambling through the house like a golem, recently expelled from a dark and twisted dream.

I'd insert a 'bunghole' metaphor here - ala Bukowski - but just can't seem to bring it off. Suffice it to say I felt sh*tty and slightly off kilter.

Passing through our dimly lit bathroom, I noticed movement and looked up to lock eyes with my own startling reflection.

The thick lipped and squinty-eyed face looking back at me could've been that of a stocking-faced intruder with its sleep and age distorted features.

The eyes, especially, were odd, and I was reminded of a 70's commercial where you could carve someone's likeness from an apple, then bake it til it shriveled up into a shrunken head.

I remember being fascinated with those eyes as a child - how life-like and human, the bags and creases around them.

Now looking at myself through crab-apple eyes, it struck me I was wearing a mask of my own face, which didn't quite fit.

More and more, I find myself resembling an Old White-Guy.

Which is not entirely surprising, of course, but...

Recently, my father told me I looked like Mit Romney. 

F*cking Perfect.




4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:54 AM

    "Landslide"
    by Fleetwood Mac

    I took my love and took it down
    I climbed a mountain and I turned around
    And I saw my reflection in the snow-covered hills
    Till the landslide brought me down

    But time makes you bolder
    Even children get older
    And I'm getting older too

    Popi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't remember Fleetwood Mac every making me feel so weepy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:26 PM

    every="everything"?

    Popi

    ReplyDelete
  4. no goofball, typo only

    ReplyDelete