Saturday, December 17, 2005

Non Sequitar-aganza!

I lost my cell phone while I was in L.A. last weekend. Was dancing at this barn of a club when it undoubtedly fell out of my pocket and was scarfed up by the locals. Bummer, dude.

"And you were on drugs," says my roommate, while I was explaining this to he and a girl friend of his. (In other words a girl friend - not a "girlfriend").

(Non Sequitar #1)

Words are funny things, right?

Example: I can look at the "i" and "e" in "girlfriend" until I am cross-eyed, reverse them back and forth, ad nauseum (girlfriend, girlfreind, girlfriend, girlfreind) until it seems like neither could ever be right. And yet the sound for "friend" is lodged in my head, and is perfectly understandable, both as sound and as concept.

Example #2: The connotations of words - well, just look at the whole
girlfriend/girl friend dealie above and you get the idea: two words that look
and sound extremely similar and yet are very distinctly different. Especially to
my roomie.


My uncle Wally, on the other hand, used to talk about hanging out with his"boyfriends" even though he was straight. Maybe it was a word that used to mean something different or maybe he was just being a little playful, as he was wont to do.

My father is a pseudo-vegetarian (eats fish) who refers to meat as "dead animals". Both he and Wally used to refer to as people who'd died as "dead guys," as in, "yeah, Paul's getting ready to be a dead guy" Or, "that was before he was a dead guy". I should point out that women can be "dead guys" too. Also, that Wally himself, is now a dead guy.

But back to the "drugs" comment: I refuse to answer on the grounds that it may incriminate me. However, I would like to say that I was extremely ecstatic to be visiting my friend in L.A.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment