Friday, November 25, 2005

About Last Night - Part 2

Recreational. Fucking. Space.

Spent the past two days in Payson, Arizona with my retired folks. And the dogs. A large part of me wants to admit the only reason I partake in these holiday adventures is to hang with the dogs. The dogs LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE me. They piss themselves at the mention of my name and whine like mules when I leave. Christ, do my parents beat them? No.
I left some jeans behind a year ago on Christmas, and my mom put them on her recliner in her sewing room. To this day the dogs share sleeping space on that recliner on my jeans. I'm thinking my mom should make little pants out of them for the dogs to wear.
So, my brother couldn't make it up yesterday so I hung out watching football and eating turkey and pie while my parent's friends came and visited. The ladies sipping tea on the patio talking quilting, while the guys were in the family room talking about how good things used to be and the corruption of youth today. And computer viruses.
I stared blankly at the television hearing all this blabber in the background wondering what the hell I was doing there. Then I looked at the dogs at my feet and I was saved momentarily until I got invited to play Uno and domino's.
My parents are cool, don't get me wrong. I just like teasing them. Dad and I didn't get along so well growing up, but we "get" one another much better now and actually enjoy spending time together. Mom and I have always been tight.
So I made it back to Phoenix just in time to watch the Arizona State vs. University of Arizona college football game with some friends. After talking to a couple people on the phone since I've returned, I realize I actually enjoyed my time up there sitting on the couch for 12 hours yesterday rolling my eyes at my folks.

I really should make it up there more often than I do.

To the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment