Monday, November 21, 2005

Expectations vs. Reality: Johnny Cash


Went out with friends and saw "Walk the Line" last night. I should start by mentioning that I had only a faint hope of enjoying this movie. I mean, the studios are really advertising the be-jeesus out of this one, and I hate it when they do that - try to ram an "oscar winner" down our throats.

Also, I've never been a huge fan of Joaquin Phoenix. Could take him or leave him. Yeah, he did some decent work in the last Shamalama-ding-dong movie. What was it? The clearing? The shining? (The one about the pilgrim-type dudes living, unbeknownst, in modern times?) Anyway, he was pretty decent in that one but that's about it for notable Phoenix roles in my mind.

And don't get me started on Reese Witherspoon. Yes, she's talented. Blah blah blah. The woman gets on my nerves. For me, her most convincing role up to date is in "Election Day," playing the type "A" girl you love to hate. Yes, I know she's an actress playing a role. And, yes, I found her highly entertaining in that one. It's just... she seemed a little too good at that role. I mean you gotta practise a few jumpshots to be able to score in the big game, am I right? But back to "Walk the Line"...

It wasn't perfect... but it was pretty damn good! Neither actor got in the way of their roles (with the minor exception of some stiff necked affectations by Phoenix as Cash in performance) and I actually found Witherspoon both charming and funny, which is a new experience for me.

Finally, I have to admit I got kinda choked up during a couple of scenes - which is not all that unusual (okay, I'm pretty much a big wuss, given the opportunity) but is still a good sign - that of being swept up in the movie. So...

Big thumbs up! Ignore all the hype and just go see this one for what its worth... refreshingly, the price of ticket!

1 comment:

  1. "Election" (no "Day"), was the Witherspoon flick.

    ReplyDelete