Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The Guy List

1. My workout schedule. Nonnegotiable. A deal breaker. Make sure everyone knows it.

2. The theory that two people must have sex before the can ever be in love. Because you can't love someone until you know that person fully -- and sex brings many revelations.

3. My favorite band/movie/team/political party/religion -- which I've just been told sucks. It may indeed suck. So what? Someone just ground my passions under his heel. Let him have some.

4. Fifteen percent off. You'll get 10.

5. My rung on the ladder. The salary's still there, I still have my office, but something's off. They're making plans without me. My turf has eroded. Time to shine again.

6. My right to leave the bar as early as you want. I will be called many names. I am none of these things.

7. My equally valuable right to hand my keys to a buddy and have another round. Morning will hit hard and fast, but sometimes I have to risk short-term-memory loss in the name of long-term-memory gain.

8. A free phone. They get a check every month for two years? Yeah, free phone.

9. That brief stretch of time that is my own. I may not get it until 10 p.m., but make sure I get it, because after my commute time, company time, dinnertime, and quality time, my time is the last defense against total annihilation of the self.

10. My habits. She's dying to change me, but she should know up front that men don't change. We can evolve, however, and that takes time.

11. A perfect combination of retained youth and acquired wisdom.

12. The true source of her silence, her headaches, her thickening layer of frost. It may be me, or it may not. But whatever it is, get it out there because this crap cannot go on.

13. The remote. A guy I know broke his leg fighting for the remote. And he'd do it again.

14. The sanctity of the line. Whether the dirtball tries it with a car or his own cloven feet, his butting in line is a grievous insult -- he's saying his time is more valuable than mine. We're all on the same death clock, pal. Deny him. Hard. The mob will back me.

15. Making money from that one thing I'm best at. There has to be a way to cash in.

16. The real answer. Sales reps, bureaucrats, and bosses of every stripe are where they are because people settle for their pat, evasive answers. Pound their bullshit position with a fusillade of toddler logic: But why?

17. The mail-in rebate I still haven't received. Companies count on lazy consumers. Be their nightmare.

18. Happiness. Can't swing that? Strive for absence of misery. Then keep going.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:30 PM

    Gal's Thoughts on a Guy's List

    2. Think I've gotta disagree on this one, Seal. I've had great sex with crappy people, and crappy sex with great people. True, sex brings many revelations, not the least of which is that it often has little to do with love. And if you think you can ever know someone fully, you are delusional. You will only know what they choose to reveal, or that which you stumble upon.

    14. With that simmering anger issue of yours I'd say your death clock ticks a might faster than some. Why not assume no insult intended and cut a guy a break?

    15. What's that one thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: Feedback on #14 - I have to agree with Seal on this one. The act of cutting in line is a an act of courtesy and disrespect.

    Hey, I'm all for "f"ing the Man - just not your fellow man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Anonymous", i'm not suggesting that sex equates to love. and that's not what #2 is saying either. you're "fully" comment is noted, thank you. and if i cut in line in front of you, there's no insult intended. i know what the one thing isn't, and that's writing blogs.

    Ad-man. you're response makes no sense unless i'm missing something. how can an act of cutting in line be both a courtesy and a disrespect?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:03 PM

    I assume no insult, Seal. In fact, I am happy to have done you a courtesy by letting you go first. I will smile and feel good about what a kind person I am. So, no, no, after you . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:58 AM

    As this is a re-post from craigslist, shouldn't you reference the original author?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two things:

    1. Regarding my above use of "courtesy" - my bad, I of course meant "discourtesy" or "discourteous" or just plain old fashione "dissed".
    2. The above list was forwarded in an email. If you have the original adress we would be happy to give credit.

    'Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What ad-man said

    ReplyDelete
  8. You go on feeling good about that person you are, Anonymous. Because clearly you are a better person than I, no question.

    ReplyDelete