Sunday, March 19, 2006

Wave #4


Played in a 6 man volleyball tournament on Sunday with Seal, a.k.a. Longhair, setting and myself at middle.

We played fairly well, getting knocked out by the top seed, Two-Ball, in the semi's. These guys are monsters and it was no shame losing to them in a close final game of the match.

As for myself, I played better than I have in quite a while. (Okay, this may not be bragging in lieu of recent outings, but allow this aging weekend warrior his illusions.)

One game in particular, I felt like a predatory animal - constantly moving, pacing between points, feeling everything acutely - sweat cooled skin, the hackles on the back of my neck, pupils engorged with light, and my joints, elastic.

Maybe it was the Deer Antler the night before, or maybe it was the two beers and anti-inflammatories I consumed for lunch (a semi-standard tournament routine), but time slowed, distances grew nearer and all things seemed possible.

Then we had a 40 minute break between that match and the next (against Two-Ball); time sped up, my back and knees started aching, and suddenly I was an old guy trying to hang with the youngsters again.

Sigh.

Oh, yeah, and I took a picture at the gym.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:22 PM

    So... what happened to the mysterious and unknown "Wave Three"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:27 AM

    Was wave #3 a deer antler induced coma, for we are missing 25% of the story...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:34 AM

    And you've taken off the space cowboy? Afraid to have your peach tree shaken, Maurice?

    ReplyDelete